DUDE!

Where craziness reigns supreme...

Saturday, June 17, 2006

ICKY

I am busy shuddering in fear...I have to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy on Monday. Now, before you think, 'that poor old Dude...' I AM NOT OLD. I'm 37. Okay, that may be old to some, like the senile dog, who's pushing 12 and feeling every year of it.

So why do I have to suffer at the hands of doctors? I'm anemic, and they're not sure why, (it's probably caused by the 5 different drugs I take for lupus, so they're not really worried) so they decided to check the inner plumbing to see what's what. The only intriguing part of all of this is that if they don't see anything, I'll get to swallow a pill with a CAMERA in it! Which is way cool, in my book.

I also have to get tested because my sweetest Mummie had colorectal cancer before the age of 60 (and is doing mighty well, too), which is another reason to go and get checked. So tomorrow I will NOT be posting, as I'll be busy on my throne, studying for my exam :::smile:::.

I am honestly more upset about the IV than the test, because I tend to blow out my IV's. My doctorish friend (I'm not sure what she is, but she is right up there and can give medicine and do rectal exams) told me to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate...So I will.

So let's have a little colorectal cancer fact list so you can see why having a colonoscopy is important to do:

1) Polyps (mushroom like growths) are slow growing and can become cancerous, but it takes many, many years. Discovering them early and getting them snipped will take care of them and keep your chances of developing this kind cancer kept to a minimum.

2) Most of the time, there are no symptoms of colo-rectal cancer until it's a late staging. Screening is very important to detect this cancer early.

3) If found early, colo-rectal cancer is treatable and manageable.

So if you're not an old dude, but know old dudes (like your parents) encourage them to be screened. You'll be mighty happy you did.

I am hopping off the soapbox now. Run, don't walk, and get a colonoscopy (because misery loves company).

In other news (if you made it this far):
Only one more day of school for K-man! He's thrilled with his teacher assignment for next year. He gets his kindergarten teacher again (NO, he wasn't demoted, she moved up) for third grade. PLUS, he has a lot of good friends in his class. He's very excited.

No news yet on who will have to suffer...er...be graced with Little One's presence in Kindergarten. All I can say is God help her teacher. I spent Thursday night defending her from the bugs in her room. I ended up closing her window because she was afraid the crickets would come in and get her. I did try to explain that crickets were only trying to find a girlfriend, and they good luck in some countries (and I cringed, because I'd have a cricket farm next to the catepillar farm and worm farm she has established on my front porch). She wasn't buying that, not after the poor moth attacked her (it sat on her shoulder or something). She wasn't buying that it was a butterfly cousin. I rescued the thing from the screeching and put him outside--I think he was very happy to leave, indeed.

Oh, and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to the dads out there! I'm sending my DH out with money and his children so he can buy them food and have them watch a movie with him (CARS, I believe, since they're a racing bunch). I have to eat jello and broth all day, I'll be damned if I'm cooking for the man, special holiday or NOT.

I'll let you know how the testing goes...

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice Lynn said...

Have fun preparing for your test. Hope you make an A+. Hugs on the anemia & the stress of having to go through it all. I agree on the camera pill. I've always just thought that the coolest. :)

10:06 PM PDT  
Blogger TrishJ said...

Thanks, Janice! DH has said I should study, and he should get to help me study...:::shudder::::

I hope I get a lollipop when I'm done...I deserve one!

Trish

5:58 AM PDT  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

Hm....seems to me the dh taking the kids to Cars was more a treat for you ;)

Glad all went well with the procedure. Did you get your Dunkin Donuts?

2:44 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home