DUDE!

Where craziness reigns supreme...

Friday, May 05, 2006

Brainstorming

Brainstorming. Uh, no, I'm not doing it. This is the one thing in the writing world I hate with a passion. I've always hated it, but the invention of IM and chat rooms make it even worse, because my happy little writer friends drag me in there and then they discuss goals and motivations and conflicts and they begin to talk about these imaginary people like they were their best friends. It's creepier than a plumber with a low waistline. I always get lost and confused, because I can't figure out what's for dinner, never mind plan 10 years of Rico Swave's life.

Sadly, my so-called friends have resorted to rude tactics to get me to brainstorm. They lure me into a chatroom with the scent of fresh gossip, then once I'm in, they toss the net and truss me up. AND THEY LAUGH, the blighters. "Ha ha, you have to brainstorm. Now tell me what you think of this for Gino's internal conflict." Of course, I've been known to escape. I've made AOL my scapegoat more than once. "Oh, sorry, AOHELL dumped me again." I'll probably burn in hell for it and never be able to get an internet connection again, but it's worth it.

But there's one way I will brainstorm sort of willingly, and that's when two of my friends get out the Tarot cards. We'll hit the chatroom and ask a question about our story, then they'll pull cards. I like it because there's very little thought on my part. I can sit and make rude comments and play the 'card pulling music', sort of like when they do Final Jeopardy on T.V. And tarot plotting is about 99.9999% accurate--better than birth control pills!

Of course, it's frustrating when you get a NS reading--meaning 'no s##t'. That's when you get cards that a total illiterate moron could interpret about your story. But there's still little thought and even more opportunity for snarky comments.

So friends, know I'm on to you. I vow to have more control at the slightest hint of juicy tidbits. And don't try the whole, "I SOLD! Hit the chatroom!" scene because when I discover it was a ploy, I will attack like a toy poodle looking for ankle meat. You've been warned.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come here little girl. We have a story to discuss. There will be goals and motivation and conflict, and if you stay for the entire chat---then we will give you chocolate...or Dunkin Donuts coffee...

We know your I/M address. We will find you.

6:38 PM PDT  
Blogger Carla Capshaw said...

You crack me up! I totally agree with you. Plotting. Ack! I have to say I'm a little hurt. You blamed AOL for losing me last while we were on the IM. Hmmm... No DD coffee for you!

6:42 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Tarot card idea, T. Great blog, actually. You have such a way with words.....

Marlene (now can I have my hunk, pretty please and little testosterone)

6:44 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now have that Rico Swave song stuck in my head. Thanks a lot.

I've never tried the Tarot cards but it sounds really interesting. I love brainstorming and am always on the lookout for new ways to figure out my characters.

6:47 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeze, T. Now the truth is out.

Brainstorming? Its my favorite thing. And I'll be dragging YOU along next time!

11:15 PM PDT  
Blogger TrishJ said...

You guys are CRUEL! AOHELL dumps me, honest. :::whistling and looking away:::


Renee, send my your blog addy and you can be an 'other dude'. I only go where the other dudes are ::smile::. I'm limited, what can I say?

7:42 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, guess what, Trish? You suck at brainstorming anyway. :-P But you're damn good a critiquing...OH WISE ONE!!!!!!

8:55 PM PDT  
Blogger Julie said...

Now that I know the Tarot cards work, heh heh heh.

9:29 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home