DUDE!

Where craziness reigns supreme...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Knitting and Death

Yes, you read that correctly. This could mean that I'll croak if I have to knit one more scarf (two down, two half way done). It could mean that I've been sentenced to knit until I die (not a horrid fate at all). But however, it refers to about one minute, the amount of time it would take for me to die if I was stabbed in the heart by a knitting needle.

Gory, I know. The conversation came up when I was knitting in the dark on a road trip. Yes, it's possible to do because you can feel the yarn split and all that. Plus this was a scarf on huge needles. How can you mess up?

So after my friend asked if we skimped on electricity, I informed her that I would knit in the dark on the way to visit in my mom when she lived in NH. Of course, this was after DH and I had a huge battle about the fact that we could crash and I could be impaled on my needles and croak.

So me, being curious and ever-the writer, asked my friend (a doctor) how long it would take to croak on a knitting needle. Her reply was probably a minute, maybe a little longer.

Now, to those that think a minute isn't long, you're wrong. Oatmeal in the microwave takes about a minute to cook. When my camper exploded while we were driving, we had less than 30 seconds to get out. Let me tell you, that was the longest half-minute of my life. And knowing me, I wouldn't be saying good-bye to the world, I'd be looking at my watch screaming, "You were WRONG! See? It's been 1 minute 45 seconds and I'm not ready to move to the white light!"

But as you can see, I'm still here. No knitting accidents, thank goodness. Now to get to work on the scarf.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

It depends on where you stab yourself. If you get yourself in the intestines, it could take more than 24 hours to die a hideous, painful, nasty death of peritonitis.

On the other hand, if you shoved a knitting needle up your nose, got lucky, and hit your brain stem, I think it'd be instantaneous.

If you use a really small gauge needle and stab someone in the heart, I suspect that the muscle would just close over and nothing much would happen except a big bruise and an owie.

They don't call me Samurai Knitter for nothin'. Personally I'd garotte someone with a nylon circular, if I had to kill 'em with a knitting needle. Stabbing's too uncertain.

Tell the hubby I said hello, when you relay this information.

4:02 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home